Pages

May 31, 2012

Off to Ohio We Go.....

First off, this was no vacation, but a necessary trip to visit Grandma Jane.   Grandma Jane has been in the care of hospice for almost a year.  As of late she hasn't been doing well, has been in and out of the hospital and she'll be 96 in July.  However, the trip was scheduled since the hospice nurse is doubtful of her ability to make it to her birthday.  The last time my parents were over for a visit I told them I would love to go and visit but it would be next to impossible to drive that long with Isaac by myself. Well, within a few days the trip was scheduled and it was a Strickling road-trip to Ohio.

Isaac and I left Atlanta around 8:00 am and with papa's help loading up the car we were on our way to Chattanooga, TN to meet my parents at the Starbucks (of course) at 10:45 am sharp.  Strickling's tend to lack patience so I needed to make sure we were on time which is why I left an hourly earlier than them.  I also was armed with the assistance of my ipad.  I'm the proud new owner of Sesame Street's season 40.  Frazer and I spent the weekend looking for ipad cases for backseat headrests.  The day before I left I was able to find this one at the third Target I had been to and was able to make it work by tying ribbon around iGuy's arms and looping it around the seat.  I think Isaac would have been entertained by iGuy alone but combined with ipad, it was powerful combo!


I had loaded Isaac up in his pajama's but after being on the road for exactly 1 hour and 12 minutes it was time for the first of many pit stops.  Good thing I left early! Isaac was screaming bloody murder from the backseat so it was time to pull off.  It's a good thing too!  Little man was roasting in the backseat.  I took him out and his pj's were soaked from sweat.  Well, that not only required a wardrobe change, but a diaper change, a quick snack and a potty break for mama.  Then, back on the road.

We arrived in Chattanooga a little early which provided enough time for Isaac and I to have breakfast and we were only five minutes late meeting dad.  One day Isaac will see Grandpa John for the first time and not cry, but today wasn't that day.  But after everyone got their caffeine on and stretched their legs it was time to load up and hit the road.  At least I would have company and the help of Grandma Sue for the next leg.  By 2:00 pm we were receiving text messages from the other car that it was time to eat.  So, we located a Cracker Barrel and stopped for lunch.


Isaac preferred to sit across from Grandpa John.  They had a staring contest.  After lunch Grandma and Grandpa took Isaac outside for some fresh air before we loaded up again.


Isaac discovered a chair that was just his size!  He actually got it rocking and was having a good time until he started to slide out.  Once everyone was situated, rotated cars and drivers, it was time to load up and hit the road....again.  Uncle Jason joined us for the next leg of the trip and gave mama a break from driving.

It was a very, very long day.  We stayed in St. Clairsville, Ohio and by the time we arrived we had been on the road for 13 hours.  Aunt Michelle and I bunked in one room with little man.  She was a calming force to the room was great at keeping her nephew entertained.  It had been a few months since I had unpacked and set up the pack-and-play.  If only I had the mental clarity at the time to video Michelle and I trying to figure out how to set the stupid thing up.  It was comical, nonetheless. We eventually succeeded and by the time we were unloaded, unpacked and ready for bed it was 9:47 pm.   Well passed the bedtime of certain little boy who had no interest in going to bed.


It took some time for Isaac to unwind from being in the car seat for such a long time. But, I must say he was a trooper!  He was excellent in the car with the assistance of Elmo and Big Bird. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment