Pages

November 20, 2012

Nite Time Events

Sharing a hotel room with a toddler is a challenge.  Isaac had his own cot that was set up with a soft blanket in the bottom, his own Winnie-the-Pooh blanket, puppy and binky.  Regardless of the comforts provided he wanted no part of sleeping in a crib.  We knew it was a long trip.  I have a hard enough time adjusting from jet lag and the time change so I knew Isaac may struggle to adjust.  Despite keeping the bedtime routine the same, even bringing the same bedtime books, Isaac wanted no part of the lights being out and him being in a crib in a strange room.  Now, he's been in hotel rooms before and typically has settled down on his own once the lights were out and everyone's in bed.  Not this time.    He was in a full blown melt down!  All methods in my arseneal of soothing tricks didn't even scratch the surface.

So after a few failed attempts and for the sake of all hotel guests on our floor I decided to "try" putting Isaac in bed with us.  This is something I've never, ever attempted before.  I'm not a fan of co-sleeping. I love my sleep and knowing Isaac's sleep patterns he's a washing machine in the bed.  But, I wanted to ease Isaac's anxiety and at first he snuggled up on my chest and settled down enough that I could eventually lay him down in the middle of the bed.  Of course, I couldn't relax or sleep.

There are times I would love to see directly in to this boys mind and see what he's thinking and the chain of events.  Isaac decided he wanted to play with the light switches that are conveniently place in the middle of the headboard.  At this point, Frazer is asleep, it's the middle of the night and Isaac turned all the lights on!




In a state of disbelief and my love of documenting all of Isaac's milestones and funny moments I had to grab my phone to capture Isaac and his inquisitive nature in action.


Stinker was barely awake himself but at this point we were laughing and I mean, tears streaming, belly laughing.  What in the world prompts an exhausted little boy, who's too distraught to go to sleep in his own crib right next to mama and papa, to the point of needing to be held to be comforted......to playing with light switches!  I'm sure on some level it was perfectly logically to him.

A think a good laugh was exactly what we all needed.  Isaac finally settled enough to sleep.  It was a restless night for all of us but some sleep is so much better than none.   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment