Pages

January 28, 2014

Snow Flakes + Georgia = Bad

Georgia is about to get a little crazy as the forecast is calling for snow.  I love living in Georgia and have enjoyed the southern weather for the past 12 years.  Snow doesn't bother me considering I grew up in Ohio with snow, blizzards and treacherous conditions but the north is fully prepared with all the essential equipment to keep things running.  The south however is not prepared and doesn't know how to keep things running.  And, the public panics at the sight of a snowflake.

A couple of weeks ago the local schools were closed for cold weather but today it was business as usual despite the call for snowflakes.  So, I dropped Isaac off at preschool, went to the grocery store just in case and came home.  While Julian and I were hanging out I noticed the snow started to fall.




Now Julian wasn't bothered by any of this.  He was all snuggled up, toasty warm, and resting.


I needed to provide Isaac's school with notice that he would need to be leaving the program since we would be moving soon so I decided to leave earlier than normal to pick him up.  Wow, am I glad I left early.  I even made another stop at the store for formula just in case and that was another great decision.

Isaac's school is only four miles from the house and the traffic was insane! It wasn't necessarily bumper to bumper yet but cars were moving at a snail pace, less than 15 mph.  You'd think they'd never seen snow.


I wasn't in the school more than 15 minutes and it took 55 minutes to get home!  I cut through parking lots, neighborhoods and any other shortcut I could think of.  Now, the roads were starting to get slushy and I was fortunate to have 4-wheel drive.


The snow was starting to come down heavier but it was simply a mass exodus of all the local office buildings and the volume of traffic at one time was something else.   I was very relieved once we were home.  I had the news on for the remainder of the afternoon to keep an eye on the weather.  A state of emergency was called around 5:00 pm.


It took my neighbor four hours to get home and her son didn't make it home until almost 7:00 pm.  The kids were all stuck on the school bus and parents had to walk a few miles down the road to meet the bus and walk back.

By bedtime the interstates were parking lots and the volume of people stranded was unlike anything I've ever seen.  The number of people stranded with no food, water, parents with no formula or diapers for babies.  Crazy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment