Pages

August 11, 2011

My First Boo Boo


This started out like any ordinary day.  Isaac and I were spending time on the sofa and he was in a happy mood and kicking up a storm.  I was telling Isaac he's going to be a good swimmer with such strong little legs.  Since he was content, I went into the kitchen to fix some breakfast and my phone rang.  Typically, I don't answer my phone when I'm with Isaac if he's awake.  At this age he gets fussy with no notice which makes it difficult to almost impossible to talk.  So generally I wait for a voicemail and then return calls when he's napping.  However, this time, I noticed it was a recruiter calling me back to set up an interview so I took the call.  Isaac was still content on the sofa so I went into the office to check my calendar and confirm the date and time for the interview.  Just as I hung up the phone and began walking back into the living room and I heard a THUMP! 

I took off running and found Isaac head down on the hardwood floor with his legs in the air leaning on the coffee table.  My heart sank...   It only took 3 seconds for me to get to him but in those 3 seconds he was crying his little heart out.  I picked up him up to make sure he was okay and it was the first time I've seen him with tears, BIG alligator tears.  When he gets upset he turns red and this was a new shade of red for him, he was really upset and I'm sure it scared him more than anything.  I guess he didn't realize how strong his little kicks were that he could do a back flip off the sofa.  While holding Isaac and trying to settle him down out of instinct I called Frazer at work to tell him what happened and he came home.  While he was on his way home I called the Pediatrician.  Isaac fell at 12:15 pm and we were in with the doctor by 1:20 pm. 

I've never felt so horrible, terrified, scared, and concerned in my life.  All the "what if"  and "should have" scenario's going through my head.  Frazer's response surprised me, he was very calm and relieved that it happened to me first.  The doctor came in and also surprised me, he too was very calm and reassuring, stating this sort of thing happens all the time.  Isaac was examined and all appeared to be well.  This may have been the first boo boo but it certainly wouldn't be the last.  Isaac didn't leave my arms the rest of the day.  I told Isaac that while I wasn't there to catch him when he fell I was there to pick him up.  Perhaps this is a lesson for what's to come, I may not be there when he falls in life but I'll always be there to help pick him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment