Pages

March 1, 2012

Big. Bad. Bathtub.

I know this is a stage.  I hope.  Up until a few weeks ago, Isaac could be in the bathroom and nothing bothered him.  Running water...no problem.  Turn on the tub...no problem.  Turn on the shower...no problem.  Well, as of late this is not the case.  Turn on the tub or the shower and out comes the screaming banshee.  But not just a scream in protest.  No, a terrifying, quivering, scream.... along with huge alligator sized tears...topped off with the most heart breaking hyperventilating-can't-catch-my-breath-cry.  It's absolutely just awful!  All from turning on the shower.  Even once the water is turned off, the poor thing continues to sob complete with the chest vibrating followed by deep breaths.

I decided to start experimenting to help resolve this situation.  Especially since he's to the point he's getting to big for the infant tub and will need to be transitioned to the bathtub before too long.  So, I picked him up and we played peek-a-boo with the shower curtain.  So far so good.  Then, with the shower curtain pulled back, I got down on the floor with him so he could pull himself up on the side of the tub and investigate.  Again...no problems.  Then, I got in the tub and sat down while he was still playing out side of the tub looking in. See, mama didn't melt and disappear down the drain.

Next step....putting Isaac in the tub with me.  At this point he figured this was kind of fun and he played along.  We played for a bit then I sat him down...there were a few initial protests of anxiety here.  Then with some comfort and reassurance he started to explore.  Before too long he was exploring the drain and the plumbing fixtures.  At one point I thought he was going to pull them out from the wall.  He's got quite a grip!  To continue along with out progression I got out and he didn't seem to bothered.  He continued to play for a bit and even tolerated me taking a few pictures.  I didn't want to over do it but perhaps continuing the exploration of the bath tub without the water running might make this seem a bit less scary.  Eventually we'll have to try it with the water on......but for today...the big bad bathtub was defeated!



No comments:

Post a Comment