Pages

July 14, 2014

Thunderstorms

To me, there is nothing better than the sounds of a summer thunderstorm.  It reminds me of summers at my grandma Elsie's.   I would sit on the front porch swing for hours kicking my legs gently to keep the momentum going.  I can still hear the sound of my shoes as they brushed against the artificial turf like carpeting on the porch.  I had to be careful not to bang the swing into Grandma's bedroom window too.   If I did hit the window I knew it would only be a matter of time before I would hear the squeak of the front screened door opening.  I didn't mind though as I knew it was grandma checking on me.

Grandma always had the porch full of summer flowers with bright vibrant colors.  The hanging baskets would flow back and forth with the breeze while the planters on the porch ledge would drink up the falling raindrops.  The street was often quiet with only the sounds of splattering rain drops hitting the pavement to keep me from drifting off into dreamland.

At the beginning of a storm the air would be thick with humidity leaving my skin sticky.  Steam would rise from the hot pavement in the street as it was cooled off.  All this going on while I would just swing, in silence, basking in the glory of the breeze.  Ahhh, what I wouldn't give to have one of those lazy summer days to spend with grandma and grandpa Brannon.

I hope one day Isaac will learn to have the same level of appreciation for such simple things.  Right now at his tender age though, thunderstorms are frightening.  This evening the large booms and flashes were frightening events to wake up to. It didn't take him long to make his way downstairs to join me on the sofa.  I have no problems being a source comfort for this little guy.


The thunder was consistent for a good while along with the lightning.  We stood at the window watching the flashes of lightning light up the nighttime sky and then we counted the distance between the booms of thunder.  This evening though it was the pounding sounds of hail that pushed Isaac over the edge.   I was fairly certain I was going to  have a bed buddy for the night.


As long as I was next to him he relaxed enough to fall back asleep, while holding my hand.  I absolutely cherish these moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment