Pages

March 21, 2014

Creative Way to Meet Neighbors

Today I had an experience I hope I never have again.  It all started with a simple task of needing to go to the basement to get a tool.  Julian was playing in his bouncer and Isaac wanted to come with me.  As we walked into the basement garage Isaac closed the door and locked us out of the house with Julian locked inside!

I remained as calm as I could on the outside but on the inside my head was swirling with what to do and quickly.  I opened the basement garage door and ran around the house checking all of the other doors and they were all locked.  I left my phone and keys on the kitchen counter because it didn't occur to me that I might need them in the basement.  So, I picked Isaac up and ran to the neighbors house searching for someone to be home with a phone to borrow.  Finally, after the fourth house someone was home.  I called Frazer twice before he answered and told him what was going on and I didn't have the code to the keypad on the garage door.  After getting the code Isaac and I ran back to the house and got the garage door open only to discover the door to the house was locked.

I could hear Julian crying inside so I picked Isaac up again and ran back to the neighbors to call 911.  While we were waiting for the sheriff to arrive Isaac and I hung out on the back porch so Julian could see us through the glass.  As soon as Julian saw us he calmed down  Isaac started playing peek-a-boo with him and he kept trying to open the door saying it was stuck.  He was so cute and couldn't understand why we couldn't go inside.  As long as Julian could see us he remained calm.  I kept reassuring Isaac everything would be okay so he didn't get upset either.

When the sherif arrived he was able to get the basement door unlocked.  I've never been so thankful in my life.  This was a true motherhood first.  Not once did I yell at Isaac because he simply didn't understand that the simple gesture of closing the door would cause us to be locked out.  It also didn't occur to me to check all the locks after the locksmith yesterday.  I never imagined the doors could be unlocked from the inside but locked from the outside.

Needless to say after today's event, copies of the keys will be made and available in the garage.  We always have spare keys but just haven't had the chance to get our system in place since we just had the keys sorted out yesterday.

It was certainly a creative way to meet new neighbors.  Once we were back inside I got the boys settled and down for a nap.  Then it was my turn to decompress.  Mama bear instincts are real and the panic of being separated from a child is scary.  At least I knew Julian was safe but I hope I never have this experience again!

No comments:

Post a Comment