Pages

December 19, 2013

Julian's First ER Visit

Last night was an adventure!  It was my first experience taking a sick child to an emergency room and first I'll say that Children's Healthcare of Atlanta was amazing!  From signs that were easy to follow, to valet parking, and immediate registration and little to no wait time to be seen by a doctor I was impressed and relieved.  Now, it was 2:00 am so that could have made a big different but it was just what this mama needed.

Julian's cough went from bad to worse when we got home yesterday.  He chest sounds were awful and scary.  It really sounded like he was struggling to breathe and it made my chest hurt just to listen to him.  His cough sounded like a barking seal and unlike anything I'd heard.  Considering he's only 4 months old I had to take him before he got worse.


As miserable as he was he did look cute as a button in his tiny hospital gown.  After an initial checkup a respiratory therapist was sent in to suction out his sinuses and then they administered a breathing treatment.  Julian was less than pleased with this experienced but it made an instant impact in his breathing.  Then he was given a small dose of steroids to help decrease the inflammation in his lungs.

Final diagnosis was an upper respiratory infection, croup and bronchiolitis.


When ever he's congested now we'll have to suction out his nose and use saline drops a couple times a day in addition to breathing treatments with his tiny inhaler 4x/day.  We'll take him to follow up with his pediatrician too.

I'm so happy I deduced to take him in.  I just want my little guy to feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment