Pages

August 14, 2013

Reflections of Labor

Memories of labor keep coming back to me in chunks and I want to make sure I capture as much as I can.

During the downtime of the afternoon I had the opportunity to reflect as I'm sure I'll continue to do over the next several days.

I can remember the pain of each contraction and feeling Julian kick at the same time.  The pain was excruciating.  I kept saying prayers and silently talking to Julian letting him know that we had to work together.  We each had to do our part to make sure he arrived safely.  I kept telling him we would always be connected and I couldn't wait to be holding him in my arms.  Just a little bit longer and he would be out and surrounded by two parents that will shower him with love.

Labor, for 26 hours, was by far the most difficult thing I've ever done in my entire life.  Pushing through the physical and mental limitations is something I'll never forget.  I'm sure there will be more details I'll remember too.  If nothing else, I've certainly learned what a 10 feels like on a pain scale of 1 - 10.  I hope to never experience a 10 again either.  But.....the outcome was certainly worth it.  Despite the stitches, the pain, and the collateral damage I already know recovery is going to be much better than the recovery from my c-section.

I'm humbled I was able to experience labor.  I'm grateful for my doctor and being in the position to even try experiencing labor since I'd had a prior c-section.  Most of all I'm so grateful for having a healthy baby boy.  He's absolutely perfect.  Reality is still settling in that I'm a mother to two boys!!

I'm also very happy to have the Percocet.  Modern pain relief is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment