Pages

August 13, 2013

Bonding with Baby Boy Julian

Julian and I spent lots of time cuddling during his first night in the world.  He certainly doesn't know his days from nights.  Night time was always his active time in my tummy and I knew that wouldn't change immediately.  It was just so nice to hold him in my arms versus feeling his kicks.

We did manage to get about four consecutive hours of sleep.  Even though it was only four hours it made a huge difference given the amount of hospital disruptions from the medical staff.  I was grateful for the long stretch.

This morning Frazer brought me a real Starbucks coffee when he came to visit.  It was fantastic and just the jump start  needed to get through the day.



Julian and I did manage to get as much rest as possible while settling into a nursing routine.  He's been heavy into cluster feedings and I spent the day nursing him almost every hour or so.  It's amazing though how he quickly discerned the difference between me and Frazer.  He immediately knew that time with papa equaled warm cuddles and time with mama equaled feedings.  More importantly Julian just likes to be held and cuddled and I love it!



It was a long day and I feel like I'm still a bit disoriented.  Even though Julian was only born yesterday I feel like I've been in the hospital forever.  The nursing staff has been great.  I'm already moving around so much better than I expected despite being incredibly sore and tender.  It's also been a day of adjusting to feedings again too.

This evening Julian's vitals were taken again and he's down 7% in weight.  He's dropped down to 7 lbs 14.1 oz.  I'll have to keep an eye on his weight over the next couple of days and if it continues to drop I may have to start supplementing his feedings with formula.  I know it will take several days for my milk to come in but given I already know I'll have a limited supply I don't want his weight to keep dropping before giving him formula.

Before we settled in for the night I received a text from Frazer who was home finishing the final preparations for Julian's arrival.


The pack-n-play was officially set up and the basinet was all ready.  We're so excited to go home tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment