Pages

January 31, 2013

A Positive Surprise - The Back Story

I'm sure there are a lot of metaphors about a woman's intuition.  All I can say is I trust mine and through the years I've learned to pay attention to the cues from my body even if I don't understand the message clearly at the time.  The week we were in England my skin starting breaking out horribly, more so than normal. I remember mentioning to Frazer one morning that there was something crazy going on with my hormones for me to be breaking out that bad.  That was the first message.  When we returned from England I started getting a horrible sinus infection, or so I thought, and while we were out running errands I was suddenly exhausted and couldn't keep up.  Without any planning the words flew out of my mouth to Frazer that either I had the flu or I was pregnant but my body wasn't happy and was out of energy.  That was the second message.

December 2, Frazer left for Brazil.  Since Frazer was gone I went shopping for Christmas decorations and while I was out I decided to pick up a pregnancy test.

The morning of December 3, I decided to take one of the tests.  I sat it down and continued my morning routine.  While I was brushing my teeth I told myself that it would probably say no.  I wasn't exactly late and it's not like we were actively trying to get pregnant although we were not "not" trying.  When I finished brushing my teeth I walked back into the bathroom, knelt down to look at the test and stood there in disbelief, my mouth dropped and I was wide eyed! No!  It couldn't be!  Could it?  I didn't pick up the test either.  I walked out and looked in the mirror at myself along with my dumfounded expression.  I brushed it off to blurry vision and decided I should put my contacts in and then take another look.  Then I walked back to look at the test and picked it up this time. All I could say, out loud, was Really?!, Really?!, in the most excited way possible while every fiber in my body bursted open and then I was covered in goose bumps!

It was POSITIVE! Inside I was giddy.  I didn't realize at first but my mouth was still dumfounded and wide open and grinning at the same time.  I looked at myself in the mirror and then at my belly and then back at myself in the mirror.  I was seriously having a conversation with the reflection of myself in the mirror.  I mean, Frazer was in Brazil.....again.  He was in Brazil when I found out I was pregnant with Isaac.  I had to process this information with someone so why not with myself? :)  I kept pointing to my tummy with by hands saying "there's a baby in there!"

At that point I walked downstairs to get some coffee before Isaac woke up and it was all I could do to keep from calling Frazer.  I started thinking how I would tell him and wondering if I would be able to wait until he got home on Friday.  The urge to call Frazer was overwhelming.  So I called Jenn.  She didn't answer so I sent her a text.  When I was helping her pack this past week I told her I thought there was a chance I might be pregnant.  Then she called me and I settled down.  Then Isaac woke up and our morning routine started.

About 5 hours later....Frazer sent me a text and we exchanged a few messages and it was KILLING ME to not tell him.  The little kid in me was bursting with excitement and I thought I would explode!  A whole week?  Not tell him for a whole week?  Could I do it again?  The simplest thing would have been to have not taken the test until he got home but since that was no longer an option, you can't un-ring the bell so to speak, I had to figure out what I would do.  Maybe I could keep it to myself for an entire week....maybe. 

Nope, instead after a few minutes I decided to send him a text message.  I really didn't want to send him a text but waiting wasn't an option any longer and I knew he was with colleagues so a phone call wasn't going to work either.  So I sent him a picture. 


Once I sent him this picture via text message I sent a follow up and I've captured our conversation below:
Kyla: "Cain't wait any longer to tell u! Your getting a baby for your birthday!!
Frazer:  "Your shitting me!"
Kyla:  "Nope! Due 8/10 by on line calculator.  First appt with Dr. Tate 12/31 :)"
Frazer:  "Didn't want to wait until I came back from Brazil again?"
Kyla:  "I've waited 5 hours.  That's all I could bare!"

I was able to talk to him later that evening and it is was clear we were both super excited.  It's a lot of information to digest too especially since I had a five hour jump start on him. :)

For the next couple of days I kept feeling my belly and saying almost in a state of disbelief "there's a baby in there"!  And just for added peace of mind I decided to take another test on December 5th.  Yep, it was still positive too.

Then Friday December 7, Frazer finally came home.  He actually came home early in the morning before Isaac was awake so while he was getting settled I got Isaac up and dressed then sent him in to greet papa.  Isaac was wearing a special shirt that said "I'm a Big Brother!"

No comments:

Post a Comment