Pages

June 1, 2012

Family Lineage & Heirlooms from 1800's

In the course of the past few of years I've become more and more interested in genealogy and learning more about family lineage.  I remember stories that have been told but I also want to start capturing them to pass down to Isaac and future generations.  I have a good bit of information on my mother's side, and for my dad, the Strickling side has been thoroughly researched but there is nothing documented or researched for Grandma Jane's side.
Since there is a high probability this could be the last time to ask Grandma Jane questions I wanted to take full advantage of the opportunity.  Michelle rounded up lots of old documents and photos for us to review with Grandma and write down names on photos she could remember.  Grandma Jane was born, Jane Bates.  According to dad, Grandma gave herself the name Dorothy Jane Bates.  Anyway, in the process of rounding up old photos we discovered a very, very old family bible from the Bates side of the family.

The bible was published in 1865. 


This isn't the greatest picture but it states. Jane Bates Bible, dated March, 29, 1887 by A. L. Bates.  In the middle it states Jane Bates Book.  With the names Ernest R. Bates, Harry G. Bates and Freda L. Bates.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever held something that was 125 years old or something so old that has been held by my ancestors.  An indescribable experience to hold something so fragile that has survived so long.  Jane Bates is my Great, Great, Great-Grandma.

Additional treasures were found inside the box containing the bible as well as inside the bible itself.


Aside from the scribbles and doodles, it was amazing to see an envelope with a post mark from 1888.  Also found in the bible were letters written to and from relatives from the 1900s.

Incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment