Pages

June 3, 2012

Last Day with Great-Grandma Jane

Even through my own exhaustion I still felt bad for Isaac.  He had an awful night.  He was up at 11:30 pm, 1:30 am, 4:00 am, we received a random wake-up call that wasn't ours at 5:00 am, he woke up again at 6:00 am and then we finally got up at 7:20 am.  And when Isaac doesn't sleep when sharing a hotel room, no one else sleeps either.  Auntie Michelle managed to get some sleep since she slept with ear plugs and who can blame her. :)  This was the final day of our visit so once we were up and packed it was the last time to load up and drive to Woodsfield.
The good thing about going to Grandma Jane's was being able to wash Isaac's bedding from his Dr. Pepper fiasco the night before as well as some of his clothes.  Michelle and I spent a lot of time with Grandma Jane looking at old photos and writing down the names on the back.  It was nice to go through the photos and she was pleased that we were interested.  I got to see lots of old photos of Grandpa Guy which was nice too.  I don't remember much of him since he passed away when I was in the 8th grade.  I remember him with a walker since he had had a stroke.  I remember being scared of him when I was little since he had such a deep voice.  I even found a wedding picture of my parents.  That makes the second picture I now have of my parents together.


I was also able to enter more information into my family tree on Ancestry.com and look forward to being able to do more research to fill in the blanks and gather more details.  Dad also drove Jason and I around Woodsfield to show us where his grandparents lived and where the Bates and Strickling's are buried.

Grandma Jane sang to Isaac while he was having his breakfast.  I wish I would have thought to have recorded her singing to him but I was too focused on making sure he ate his oatmeal to keep his energy up.  She sang him a lullaby that she used to sing to dad.  I'll have to have dad sing it to Isaac and record it.  Everything we did seemed like it needed to be captured and preserved.  No one mentioned it, we all hope it won't be true, but there is a seed of reality that this may be the last visit.  Since we were all savoring each moment I couldn't blame Isaac for not wanting to miss any of the action either.  However, he was beyond exhausted.


He was more interested in what Grandma Sue and Great-Grandma Jane were doing.  He was so tired but just couldn't convince himself to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment