Pages

April 27, 2012

Do I have to eat?



You wouldn't know from this picture but the flu bug has hit our home this week......


Monday evening I attended my second comedy class and half way through I started to feel ill but brushed it off.  Little did I know I would be spending the majority of my evening with a pillow on the bathroom floor.  It was official, the stomach flu had hit. Tuesday was just awful and it was my first glimpse into a side of motherhood I had yet to encounter or experience.  Being ill and digging deep to summon the energy to care for a little one is a very difficult challenge and I salute all mothers everywhere!  At one point Isaac did not understand why I couldn't hold him and had to put him down to run to the bathroom.  He was already upset and couldn't figure out why I wasn't responding to him and his cries worsened when he saw me leaning over the toilet.  I felt awful but felt worse for him not understanding.

Papa did the best he could to make sure I had the fluids I needed while he was at work and grandma Sue came to help out in the afternoon.  Initially I thought this was all related to something I ate but then late Tuesday Isaac's appetite started to change and he wasn't taking all of his formula.  I filed a mental note and didn't want to jump to conclusions and thought maybe his appetite change was related to his teething.  By Wednesday I felt much better and grandma Sue came back to hangout and help out with Isaac.  While grandma was putting Isaac down for a nap I seized the opportunity to take a shower and much to my surprise I came out of the bathroom to find Frazer home early from work.  Uh oh.....papa was now sick and headed for bed.  Isaac's appetite hadn't improved and diarrhea had set in.

Thursday, I was feeling much much better.  Frazer had been sick all night and he spent Thursday recovering. Isaac stayed about the same, still playing a little, then getting sluggish and not interested in eating.  So, at a failed attempt at dinner, why not at least have some fun?  He certainly didn't eat much but that didn't stop him from squishing his dinner, rubbing pasta all over his head and smearing food all over the tray.



It's a good thing it was bath night because he went straight from the high chair to the tub.  He also had a fun time in the tub and then it was off to bed.  

Friday, Frazer and I were back to feeling "normal" but Isaac still isn't himself.  I called the pediatrician as a precaution and we've attempted to get Isaac to take Pedialyte but so far it's not working.  He should be taking 24 oz of formula a day and right now he's lucky if he's getting 16 oz.  I'd actually be happy if he'd get 16 oz down.  He's also supposed to be having 18 oz of solid baby food a day and he's barely had 3 oz a day since Monday.  He's just plain miserable and not happy if he's being held, not happy if he's down on the floor playing and pretty much only happy if he's asleep.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed this little bug works its way out, and soon! I'm ready to have my little guy back to his laid back happy self.....

No comments:

Post a Comment