Pages

November 25, 2011

Isaac's First Thanksgiving

We had a great Thanksgiving weekend with my parents in Alabama.  We left at noon and the ride over seemed to take forever.  Traffic is always heavy on holidays and by the time we made it to the other side of the city we were all hungry.  So, after being on the road for only an hour we stopped for lunch, which took another hour.  We stopped again after another hour and a half for potty breaks and caffeine refills.  It's a ritual at this point to stop in Anniston, AL for Starbucks.  Then, back on the road again to finish the drive.  I began to wonder if we would ever get there.  With about an hour left before arriving at our final destination Isaac started getting restless, and who could blame him.  At that point, I did what any good mother would do; climb in the backseat and provide a beverage service and entertainment.  :)

After Isaac was no longer distracted by an empty tummy he figured out how to reach his toes while he was still strapped into his car seat.  He was tickled by his accomplishment as he should be.  There is a lot of coordination required to play with toes!


During the weekend Isaac started helping out with his bottle even held the bottle himself for short periods of time.  

This was also the first Thanksgiving that I got out of potato duty for the first time!  Isaac was very clingy to me during the weekend.  He would go to grandma for a few minutes then cry.  Grandpa held him for a few minutes then he cried and looked for me.  There were even moments within the first 24 hours that he wouldn't even let Papa hold him.  Isaac simply wanted the comforts of momma and that was fine with me except when it came time for food or bio breaks.  By the afternoon of the second day he had adjusted and was much more comfortable.  He even joined us for Thanksgiving dinner from the comforts of his portable play pen.

I must say it was a weekend for a lot of reflection and there was a lot to be thankful for.  It's a simple reminder how life can change for the better in ways I could have never imagined six years ago.  The direction of my life took a pivotal change in 2005.  It was the first time I had ever spent Christmas with Dad, ever.  In a span of 5 years I experienced tremendous personal growth, grew closer to my family, traveled internationally, and made a very important decision to quit my job.  If I had not have changed jobs I wouldn't have met Frazer.   Last year was Frazer's first Thanksgiving with my family and I was thankful then.  This year, with Isaac is just icing on the cake.  So thankful to have a new family of my own.  So blessed to have such a wonderful husband who showcased his mashed potatoes last year and got me out of potato duty this year!  Who knows where we'll be in 5 years.  Where ever it is, I know it will be awesome!

Nap Time
Grandpa John and Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment