Pages

September 12, 2011

Sternwheel Festival


The best part of our visit to Marietta was the Sternwheel Festival.  This is an annual festival that takes place the first weekend after Labor Day.  This was the 36th annual festival and an event that brings back so many memories for me, especially since it's around my birthday.  There were many years I was able to charm my way into a free ice cream cone to celebrate the occasion.

The streets are blocked off and lined with vendors selling delicious treats.  Many of the vendors use this as an opportunity to raise funds for their organizations.  You can find anything from fresh kettle corn, hot dogs, deep fried oreos, pizza, sausage sandwiches and of course fresh lemonade shakes.  I remember having to work many shifts over the years making shakes to raise funds for the booster club in school.  They're really good too!  There are a few booths set up selling local crafts and inflatable slides and jumpers for kids.  Most of the action occurs on the river bank.  A barge sets up right on the bank and serves as a stage for entertainment during the weekend.  The opening act this year was the Bee Gees although we weren't able to attend.  The river is lined with sternwheel boats and the banks are packed with people.  The best part is the fireworks which is a must see.

Frazer and I sat on the river bank with Nikki and her husband John.  I had Isaac all snug in the Moby wrap.  We sat on the bank talking and telling stories.  It was nice to know many of the people walking by and being able to say hello.  At one point I turned around and there were two high school classmates sitting behind me.  It wasn't until then that I realized the founder of the festival was Ryan Robinson's grandfather and this years festival was commemorative in his honor.  Frazer is also great with his camera and took lots of pictures of the fireworks for the Robinson family.

The fireworks were fantastic!  I held Isaac close since I wasn't sure how he would respond.  He was asleep when they started but he did wake up.  He looked at the sky and watched for a few minutes then he went back to sleep.  During the finale the booms were so big I could feel the vibrations under me and worried it might startle Isaac but he didn't flinch.  He slept through the whole thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment