Pages

September 12, 2011

Marietta Visit


I grew up in Marietta, Ohio and it's hard to believe that it had been close to 6 years since I had been back for a visit.  Compared to where we live now in Atlanta, Marietta is a small town.  It's in southeast Ohio on the Ohio river with a population around 14,000.  I was excited to come back and show Frazer around the area.  Once we arrived and got settled I drove down Pike Street and around the downtown area so Frazer could get a feel for the town.  Frazer commented on how small the town is.  However once we returned from Woodsfield, he had a new found appreciation of how large Marietta is in comparison. :)

Unlike Atlanta, there is no Starbucks, Target or plethora of eateries open past 10:00 pm.  The only chain restaurant in Marietta is Applebee's aside from the buffet option of Ryan's Steakhouse.  Now there are fast food options such as McDonald's, Subway, Wendy's and the best looking Taco Bell I'd ever seen.  The Taco Bell must have just been remodeled complete with bright lights, a lush grassy lawn and landscaping.  However, Marietta does have one place that it my all time favorite and that is Smitty's Pizza.  Of all the states I've lived in and places I've traveled to, Smitty's Pizza has by far the best hot ham and cheese sub ever.  I've talk about their subs countless times to Frazer and he had the opportunity to experience them for himself for the first time.  He agreed they were good.  The secret has to be in the bread.  Yum!

This was also a great trip to catch up and visit with some old friends. Don't get me wrong, modern technology is great but Facebook posts and text messages will never replace the value of catching up, sharing stories and laughs in person.  I've known Stacy now for over 15 years and it was nice to actually see each other in person and have the time to sit down and catch up.  We could have talked for days and wow do we have some good stories.  :)

Kyla and Stacy Morris
Nikki and I met in the 4th grade at Phillips Elementary school.  We got off to a rocky start and somehow managed to become best friends all through school.  We starting going our separate ways during our senior year of high school and until this weekend I hadn't seen her since the day we graduated.  It had been way too long since we had the opportunity to catch up.  It was also great to visit with her mom, Jackie who was like a second mother to me growing up.

Kyla and Nikki (Carpenter) Rake

No comments:

Post a Comment